Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Let Them Drive




“It’s almost one after,” a young woman whispers to her friend. Her breath is visible as she speaks. She pulls her arm out of her sweat-shirt pocket just enough so that she can sneak a peak at the time on her watch. Then she slips it back in her pocket soon after to keep it warm in the cozy lining.


"I know,” replies her friend who anxiously bends forward, allowing her to see around the corner. But to her distress the street corner is motionless.

Then one appears like a white beacon of light. It moves with a purpose down the street boasting the university’s colors of forest green and white. The Campus Area Transit Service, affectionately known as the CATS, bus has finally arrived.


The students board the bus readjusting their earphones attached to their MP3 players as they settle into a seat, prepared to scoot over if a fellow Bobcat decides to sit next to them. They’re a group pf upperclassmen, lowerclassmen, athletes, scholars and sorority
girls with one thing in common: riding CATS bus.


Catching the CATS bus on a cold morning is bliss. It’s one of the best amenities this school has to offer. If you never had the pleasure of riding the CATS bus, allow me tell you what you’ve been missing.


CAMPUS AREA TRANSIT SERVICE:
*The CATS bus provides transportation for faculty and students alike on cozy shuttle .

* It’s FREE!

* You don’t need an I.D. to ride!

* It conveniently arrives every 15 minutes on various bus stops through out campus.
For more information regarding the CATS bus schedule, visit the link below.
MY PURPOSE...
After reading my previous post you may be thinking, “So what’s so bad about the CATS bus?” Please don’t get me wrong! I’m grateful for free campus transportation, but my experiences and the similar experiences of my peers have left me unsatisfied this quarter. The CATS bus is great, but there is definitely room for improvement. During the course of this blog, I will interview students, CATS drivers, and CATS bus representatives in the hope that my work will bring attention, and change to this problem. During winter quarter, I constantly heard the cries of my peers who waited for buses that never came, walked outside to find there was no longer a bus stop, or dropped their pride in the street to run after a bus that came too early. This blog is dedicated to them.

3 comments:

  1. I love the changes you made, Shanice! The addition of the poll was a great idea. Are you going to write any posts that relate to individual "horror stories" regarding the bus? As a never-before bus user, I would be interested in seeing some experiences. Also, are there any other bus services at different colleges that compare to OU's? Overall, I am really interested in seeing how your blog progresses. Good topic choice, especially during the unpredictable winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanice this is a good start. I love your introduction and how you vividly draw a picture so that your readers get a great sense of waiting for the CATS bus. Im curious to know whats been the problem this year that people are complaining about. Also since fare is free, are students paying for this service out of tuition? How are employees paid? Questions like this are interesting...to me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm have an interview scheduled with the CATS rep today so those will be good questions to ask.

    ReplyDelete